The Challenge Has Begun!

Hi Chopper Shoppers!  My name is John Akots, and I work in Price Chopper’s Advertising department.  I am so excited to share my family’s Price Chopper Brand Challenge with you!  I have always been passionate about our corporate brands, and decided that I would challenge myself, my wife, and daughter to buy only store brands for one month, in hopes of inspiring others to give these outstanding products a shot!  The goal is for my family to see what we think of our store brand products, what products we discover that we did not know were available, and how much we CHOP our food bill!  The only brands we are going to buy are Price Chopper, Central Market Classics, Price Chopper Naturals, and our other corporate brands which include Clear Value, Top Care and Full Circle.

For example, on my first shopping trip of the challenge, I bought kaiser rolls, ginger ale, off the bone ham, Italian bread, lasagna noodles, mozzarella cheese, ground sirloin, orange juice, and yogurt – all of which were Price Chopper brand!

The feedback I received from my family included, “I actually really like the yogurt, are there any more fat free flavors?” (We had never tried it before!)  We also tried Price Chopper Natural and Organic orange juice for the first time and really, really liked it!  Although it was a bit more expensive than the regular Price Chopper orange juice, my wife loved the “fresh squeezed taste” and my daughter liked the “very orangy consistency.”  Our total bill with AdvantEdge savings was under $30!  On to another store for another trip soon!

I encourage you to follow along with me, as you are all eligible to win the Free Groceries for a Year Contest going on now in stores by buying 10 corporate brand products on any given shopping trip.  The last blog post on Chopper Shopper Chatter outlines the contest for anyone who has not heard of it yet.  I am not eligible to win, but at least I got my picture taken with Chopper!

Please comment with any suggestions, favorite products, comments, or questions.  I’ll be updating throughout the course of the Win Free Groceries contest, so use my experiences to help you get more store brand products in your cart, and more entries in the contest!  If you have done something similar with your family, we would love for you to share your stories and comments about our products and how much you saved.  We’ll give a $100 gift certificate away for our favorite story!!

One thought on “The Challenge Has Begun!

1. February 1, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I have been amazed at some of the high NuVal scores that Price Chopper brand items get. Often, the Price Chopper brand is more nutritious than some national brands.

2. February 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm

FYI, the Price Chopper brand fat free yogurt flavors include Raspberry, Strawberry/Banana, Strawberry, Vanilla, Black Cherry, Peach, Blueberry, and Plain.

3. February 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I hope you didn’t buy the Central Market Classics Turtle Cheesecake. Or if you did that you returned it for a refund.

Any insights as to what “foreign objects” might have made their way into the dessert? Or how?

4. Mary Beth
    February 14, 2010 at 9:54 am

Hi John . . . welcome! I love PC & Central Market brands, and really enjoyed the Facebook coupon a couple of weeks ago with $ off for buying 10+ PC brands. No problem at all coming up with more than enough items!!!

One thing that I would like to see on either the website, Facebook, Twitter or the blog, is a posting when PC runs their special double or triple coupons in the Times Union. The ones where you can use them to double or triple a few coupons of your choice. To date, I don’t believe I’ve seen PC sent out a heads up so that shoppers can make sure they get the paper that day.

I live in The Land Where Price Chopper Doesn’t Double Coupons, but outside of the area where the Times Union does home delivery. Since I don’t make the 15 mile roundtrip each day to buy a newspaper, I’ll often go into PC on Friday or Saturday only to find that special double or tripling coupons had been printed in the TU earlier in the week. As a dedicated PC follower (website, Facebook, blog, Twitter, e-mail notifications, everything!) this is really infuriating, as I would have made a point of getting the paper that day had I known about the coupons.

Publicizing when these coupons will be in the paper would hopefully boost TU circulation for that day at least, which would be good for the TU. And it certainly would help with customer relations . . . I doubt I’m the only person in the Capital District to whom this happens.

Thanks for considering this.

5. February 24, 2010 at 7:30 pm

i dont need a challenge to tell you i love the brand… i have worked for the chopper for almost 3 years and since have won an associate recipe contest using central market products only !!! have had a family recipe in the holiday issue of the view using our great products… and been asked to use one of my recipes for the recipe of the week in the seafood dept… i have published 2 cookbooks and when asked how to make something or where to get items i always start by saying… ” go to price chopper ” long before i worked here i was a fan of central market brand… great seafood… meat… produce… now im a fan of just about our whole product line… i think we need to expand the little sample cart to all out fabulous here is something you can make !!!! making great food… using our great products… customers will love it… dont just give them a little nibble… show them how to do it… let them taste it… and the next thing you know they are buying everything to make this at home and cant wait to see the next great price chopper recipe !!!!

6. March 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

Nothing beats the brand in my opinion
    I shop in Manchester Connecticut and Price Chopper never lets me down !

7. Sue
    March 25, 2010 at 9:35 am

I have found that the ingredients of Price Chopper brands far better than other brands

and

Price Chopper Tuna is a FULL CAN

I challenge you to buy it and try it

Your reaction will be a little voice in your head saying, “I don’t remember seeing a can of tuna this full in a long time. hmmm”

and when you compare you will see!

8. March 30, 2010 at 3:04 pm

That’s a crazy and very interesting challenge!! We love monthly challenges – we’ll be challenging ourselves to NO DINING OUT for the month of April. Yikes.

9. April 19, 2010 at 11:32 am

Still the best Supermarket in the buisness

10. Heather Bernet
    May 19, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I love Price Chopper. One thing that our family has done is to shop exclusively at Price Chopper for our groceries. There is another super store just down the road, we won’t mention the name though. I was very impressed with how Price Chopper has covered up their tobacco products, how they offer the Fuel Advantage and the great selection of products. Most of our cart is full of Central Market and other Price Chopper Brands. I particularly am very fond of the Central Market Brand! So our family is an “exclusive” Chopper Shopper Family! They are doing it right and we wouldn’t go anywhere else!

11. cheryl Funaro
    December 7, 2015 at 8:14 pm

My Grandchild has been drinking Price chopper brand soy milk ever sence she has been born. She cannot drink whole milk for she gets sick. So her Doctor told us to use Price chopper soy milk. My Grandchild is now 4 years old and we go to buy more soy milk the other day only to hear price Chopper will not be making it anymore. What are we to do. She won’t drink any other brand of soy milk, she saids it is not her milk it taest bad.So now why won’t anyone want to buy price choppers brand of food to hear later down the road they will stop making that protect. very disappointed in price chopper.