Craving some pizza? But summer is the time for grilling, right? Price Chopper wants to help you put a new spin on this dinner favorite… pizza is now on the grill! This is a quick and easy dinner that both kids and adults can enjoy.
This week, we have some great coupons that should help you out with your pizza on the grill purchases. Go to our Facebook page and click on our Coupon Tab to print coupons for Price Chopper refrigerated dough for $0.88, Price Chopper pizza sauce for $1.00 and sliced white mushrooms for $1.00 all with card and coupon (valid 6/19/11-6/25/11). Not sure how exactly to make pizza on the grill?
Does the thought of trying to grill pizza make you feel a little overwhelmed? Are you thinking-“How do I keep the pizza dough from falling through the spaces on the gill?” We’ve got you covered with a few helpful tips before you begin:
- Let dough stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours to make rolling and stretching easier.
- Roll or stretch dough directly on a floured pizza peel or baking sheet without sides to make carrying to the grill easer.
- Be sure to roll dough out to no thinner than 1/4-inch thickness.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. If your grill has multiple burners, keep one side of the grill lower than the other so if bottom of pizza is cooking too quickly you can move pizza to cooler side to finish cooking.
- The dough cooks quickly (1-2 minutes) so check the underside of the pizza for grill marks once dough starts to bubble and puff. Check frequently to avoid charring.
- Once the crust is set, use to spatulas to flip, and quickly add the toppings as the crust will continue cooking.
- Be sure to have all ingredients and toppings assembled and by the grill.
- Since pizza on the grill cooks so quickly all meat should be precooked or grilled, and vegetable toppings such as onions, peppers, mushrooms or broccoli should also be lightly cooked.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce on the pizza so the crust doesn’t become too soggy, which will make it difficult to remove the pizza from the grill.
- Add toppings sparingly and evenly over crust. Too many toppings will result in the cheese not melting and the toppings not heating through.
Try this simple recipe to help make a deliciously crispy pizza on the grill:
Pizza on the Grill
1 pkg. fresh pizza dough
3 Tbs. mushrooms, lightly sautéed
¼ cup roasted red peppers
2 Tbs. dried basil
1 Tbs. dried oregano
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Place pizza dough in large well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth. Set aside until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat grill to high. Form dough into a rectangular shape about ½ inch thick. Brush grill grate with olive oil. Gently place dough on hot grill. The dough will puff immediately. When the bottom crust has browned lightly it is time to turn it. Using two spatulas turn dough over, working as quickly as possible. Brush dough with olive oil. Brush crust with 3 Tbs. tomato sauce. Add mushrooms, and roasted red peppers evenly over crust. Sprinkle with. Basil, oregano, grated parmesan and grated mozzarella cheese. Close the grill lid, and cook until cheese melts. Remove from grill and allow to cool 5 minutes before slicing.
Here’s a suggestion:
Are your kids picky about their toppings? You may want to try making smaller personal pizzas for the kids with the toppings they like and a bigger pizza for the adults with the toppings you like. The kids will feel special because they have their very own pizza and you can still have the toppings you enjoy.
Still not convinced? We have a coupon for those who want to stick to grilling hamburgers and hotdogs. Buy any 2 Family Size Ruffles or Tostitos and Get a Free PC Hamburger or Hot Dog Roll 8 pack with coupon and card (valid 6/19/11-6/25/11).