Saratoga Chips: A Local Product with a Story!

What do you love about local products?  We love Saratoga Chips!  The story behind the infamous chip began with an unsatisfied patron at Moon’s Lake House in Saratoga Springs back in 1853.  He ordered fried potatoes with his meal but complained that they were too thick and sent them back to the kitchen.  The cook, George Crum, was upset that someone had criticized his cooking so he sliced the potatoes paper-thin and fried them in boiling oil to a crisp.  What was intended as a stunt turned into an instant hit!  The patron loved the “crunch potato slices” and soon enough George Crum had opened his own restaurant with Saratoga Chips on every table.

We love this local product because it not only tastes great but has a story behind it! The original company closed its doors in the early 1920’s, however, the Saratoga Specialties Company was launched in 2009 and its mission was to reintroduce the Saratoga Chip.  These delicious chips are made by gourmet kettle artisans, in individual batches and sold in a replica of the original packaging used by George Crum in 1853.

Tell us why you love local products and you could win 2 boxes of Saratoga Chips!  Post your entry below and on the corresponding Facebook post and you could be one of the 10 winners to receive this great local product.  Read official contest rules here.

One thought on “Saratoga Chips: A Local Product with a Story!

1. Amy
    December 30, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I love local products because they enable you to support the hard-working people in your neighborhood. The capital district’s local products increase my pride for the area. My boyfriend, who is new to New York, recently discovered Saratoga Chips at Price Chopper and now insists that we pick up a box every time we go grocery shopping. We’d love to have 2 free boxes!

2. December 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I love local products because they’re fresher and because I know I’m supporting people and jobs where it matters to me most – at home!

3. Adam
    December 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I love local products because it gives me a sense of giving back to the local community. I also like knowing where the things that I eat come from.

4. Mary Ramo
    December 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I love local products because they are fresher, often have a higher quality and I like the sense of supporting our community.

5. December 30, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I love local products because I know there are honest, caring hardworking people behind every product. Every product is made with pride TLC and these people are from nearby neighborhoods, just like mine.

6. Lisa
    December 30, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Buying local products strengthens our community. You can count on quality and freshness from local products because, as our neighbors, a good local reputation is important. I must admit we’ve never tried Saratoga Chips but we do buy Test’s Pasta Sauce often at Price Chopper.

• Lisa
      December 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm

* Testo’s *

7. Sheila Dolan-Serowick
    December 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I believe that when you buy local the food is fresher & more money stays in our community.

8. December 30, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Local products support the local community…create jobs, in turn boosting the local economy…it comes full circle. With local products, it fills a member or community with pride because they and we as a whole can say, we all helped with this product in one form or another!
    I absolutely love this story and how these chips actually came about….another great reason why this is the best place on the planet to live and shop!

9. Jay Larkin
    December 30, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I love local products not only for the stories behind them but for the tie in we all have. Growing up in the Saratoga Lake area, the story of the Saratoga Chip is easy to picture. A frustrated chef going over the top to prove a point to a finicky patron. Both sides, I’m sure, feeling satisfied with the outcome and in the process creates a worldwide craze!
    Wonderful story and an even better product for the centuries!!

10. December 30, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I LOVE local products!! It keeps jobs close to home and means that products are fresher. Plus, Saratoga Chips are delish!!

KK

11. Rich R.
    December 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Enjoy the Fresh baked breads and other products at Price Chopper. Always stop at Price Chopper’s bakery for the dinner rolls and Italian bread. Thanks for the 12 cent donuts today and tomorrow. Would love to try those Saratoga Chips.

12. Fran B.
    December 30, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Local products are best because they are made in smaller amount not like factory made and also helps support are local people.

13. Tammi L
    December 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm

We have started buying more local items in the past year. We LOVE to help local businesses to start out and thrive by purchasing from them. Sometimes the cost may be a little more, but it’s worth it to obtain something so fresh and good! It’s great that Price Chopper helps out by supporting local businesses and selling their products in the stores! Thank you Price Chopper!!

14. Tracy P
    December 30, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Every year I take my kids to Fun Day @ Saratoga Race Course and they have the Saratoga Chips with Dips. It is a splurge every single year and throughout. With family and friends losing their jobs and businesses, I have started moreso buying local. We need to help the economy where we live first! Thanks Price Chopper!!!

15. joyce brewer
    December 30, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Can’t get any fresher!, Can’t pass up supporting local producers, Can’t get any higher quality! Can’t miss the love put into all products ! What is not to love about buying local!

16. December 30, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Buying local makes your community prosper. They grow and keep all our family and neighbors working and not only that it makes a whole company feel like a big happy family. We need them as much as they need us to grow. Support local ecomony.

17. Lisa Milne
    December 30, 2011 at 8:48 pm

My family enjoys local products because they tend to be made with fresher ingredients, they are less expensive and and I trust local products more.

18. Megan M
    December 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I love local products bc they are the right choice economally and socially. And they taste great!

19. wind1951
    December 31, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Wilma Bennifield I love buying local for the freshness of products and helping the local owners survive in there quest to make a living When we buy local we know exactly what were getting and not wondering what has been added to a product thank you for all the local businesses Saratoga Chip you have a fantastic product keep up the good work!!!!

20. Janice Keating
    December 31, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Love purchasing local products because my money is used to support local businesses.

21. penni
    January 1, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Feels like I am helping my neighbors out!

22. January 3, 2012 at 10:23 pm

My husband and I own a local business, as such we support local and small businesses everywhere we go. Small businesses are the back bone of America and unfortunately their numbers are diminshing. Keeping our money local makes us feel like good citizens in our local economy

23. January 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I love buying local, it supports our own family and friends! Helping our own communities grow~

24. Taryn
    January 8, 2012 at 8:32 am

Local products are a great way to connect with a community and an area’s history. Knowing about where you live, what is produced there, and why, gives you a relationship with a place, a “rootedness” that will spill over into responsibility and caring for it.

25. January 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

Congratulations to our winners Adam, Joyce, Mary, Lisa, Tammy, Amy and Tracy!