Our Higher Purpose

Jerry_jamWritten by Jerry Golub, CEO

When I became CEO three years ago, it was not only an important moment in my life, but a milestone in the history of our company—the transition to a third generation of family leadership in a company that was founded 80 years ago by two brothers who aspired to make a difference in peoples’ lives.  Ben (my grandfather) and Bill Golub led the company for 40 years, literally building something from nothing.  Their sons, Lewis (my father) and Neil, led the company for another 40 years, building on their fathers’ vision.  They grew the company significantly, and although we are still fairly small by industry standards, they set the stage for our success in a very competitive and constantly changing industry.  We are proud to be one of few family-led companies that have made it to the third generation. This is a huge accomplishment and a testament to all of the talented and committed people who have made contributions along the way.

So now what?

Simply put, we honor our past and focus squarely on the future.

As many people know, we’re in the process of making a number of significant changes to ensure that our company meets the needs of our customers for years to come.  I’ll write more about those changes in future blogs.  But I’d be remiss if I didn’t begin by focusing on the context for these changes—why we’re even here to begin with.

Financial success is a goal of most businesses, and we are certainly no exception.  However, I genuinely believe that a family-led business is uniquely positioned to make a difference in the world.  It may sound corny, but part of what connects me to this company is knowing that we are guided by our founding brothers’ strong values and belief that we could make a difference in peoples’ lives.

One of the things I love about our business is that it touches nearly everyone.  As a result, I have the advantage of hearing from lots of people about their experiences in our stores.  I hear the good, the bad, and sometimes even the ugly.  And frankly, the incredible connection we have to our customers’ lives never ceases to amaze me.  We help families enjoy daily meals together.  We also help them celebrate special occasions and gather together in times of need. We provide nutritious, fresh foods and information that helps people eat well and stay healthy.  We help our customers meet their budgets for food and other important products.  And so much more.

Through all these conversations, I’ve come to learn that we do make a difference in peoples’ lives and that our “higher purpose,” is to help people feed and care for themselves and their families.  Bigger than any one of us, our higher purpose is about our place in the world.  It’s also something that every one of our teammates helps us accomplish every day.  It’s one of the biggest reasons why I’m incredibly proud to be a part of this company, and more committed than ever to helping us achieve the vision that established this company eighty years ago.  I don’t think there is a better way of honoring our past than incorporating it into our future.

Musical Inspiration

A higher purpose can be important to companies or individuals.  James Taylor, whose music I’ve loved for decades, certainly felt that way when he wrote this song.  The third verse makes me think of those wonderful summer night James Taylor concerts at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) over the years.  By the way, James has been known to visit our store in Lenox, MA from time to time.  🙂

One thought on “Our Higher Purpose

1. Bill Hull
    August 13, 2015 at 9:46 am

Great history and family story. Great business, excited to “feel” the difference when I go to a Market32 store!!!
    and oh ya … James Taylor … Great music!

2. August 13, 2015 at 10:10 am

I met you at the new market 32 in wilton nice store have to compliment some of your staff there Paul and Jeff in the pharmacy are great along with Linda upfront and Julie in floral also Eugene in produce are all outstanding staff you should recognize them for their extra efforts they put out. He store is beautiful the only possible improvement might be some areas are tight to get through and I use a mart cart to get around and I would request that you replace them with new mart carts to go along with your new store thank you Ed Nicholson

3. Hal Reed
    August 13, 2015 at 11:13 am

jerry , I am happy to see the success of price chopper turning to Market 32 .. And the continued growth of the company , with as much competition as there is .. I am still a shopper and will always be .. ..

4. Dave Poulin
    August 13, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Jerry, I’ve been hired to work at the new Market 32 store in Sutton Ma as overnight crew. Been training at the Hopkinton store for about four weeks now. I’m looking forward to meeting you and as being part of this new first built from the ground up store.

5. August 13, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Jerry, my family and friends have shopped at Price Chopper for 33 years in and around Oneida, NY. I do not keep coming to your store for the low prices. I keep coming back because of the quality of your staff. They’re knowledgeable, friendly, and service oriented. The meat and seafood departments are superior in selection, quality and price and your staff go out of their way to deliver a great experience for your customers. Simply put, Price Chopper earns the trust of its customers with all the things their people do each and every day to actively persue excellence. Thank you for maintaining and growing this fine store. I have every confidence Price Chopper will remain a leader in grocery over the next 30 years.

6. Brian Goodale
    August 13, 2015 at 9:27 pm

I wanted to write a quick note on my vision of the Golub corporation! I have been an employee/ team member for 13 years! And I really can’t say enough good things about our company! From the platform to do things I love in the Meat industry aspect and feeling like my department is my business to run! The benefits you offer for my family and I are amazing. I am very excited for the future of market 32 and the vision and design is great! Thanks again for running a family owned company that families should stand behind and support!

7. August 13, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Hi Jerry, why don’t you check on your store in Sidney, NY and offer more healthy choices there like most of your stores do. They need an entire section dedicated to gluten free non-gmo foods. I enjoy shopping in Price Choppers and Market 32 in other areas with all the choices and changes they have but have to travel a distance to them. Thank you for reading this and hope to hear a reply! (They have been known to have expired labels there too in Sidney. )

8. Pat Barner
    August 28, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Since moving to NY in 1984, we have been Price Chopper customers. We live in Clifton Park and have always shopped at your Clifton Park store. Now it is a Market 32. I don’t like the interior changes. The C.P. Store is not layed out to make shopping easy. In the main entrance as you walk in, there is a fancy bakery section, flowers, deli counter, and bread section. You find yourself walking around and around and doubling back through the sections. The other side of the store is almost as confusing. On the pasta isle, there is only one brand of tomato sauce. Other brands are somewhere else. The entire store is dark because the ceiling is painted black. It’s creepy. Some isles are too narrow, especially if a shopper is using a motorized cart. We have switched to shopping at the Malta store. Of course every 2 or 3 weeks we have to grocery shop at Walmart because none of your stores yet carry the Keirig Coffee Machine packages in the 18 count packages…just the small boxes.

9. Heather Vinci
    September 7, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Hi Pat,

A little food thought about K Cups. It takes a piece of plastic over 450 years to decompose…even the creator of the K Cup brand has said he wished he’d never come up with the idea for Keurig. It was flawed then and continues to be many years later. Coffee comes from the earth and should be brewed without disturbing the earth where it grows. Why not try a smaller Mr Coffee that only brews one or two cups? Coffee grounds can be composted as can the filter leaving no waste! A much cleaner, kinder cup of coffee with no guilt!