Written by Maureen Murphy & Sarah Palmer
When it comes to baking a pie, mastering the crust is key! While you can purchase pre-made pie crusts in the dairy & frozen section of our stores, making a pie crust from scratch will make your pie the star of the dessert table! Below are some tried & true tips to help get you started!
- Your butter & water must be cold; even frozen butter works as long as you cut it into cubes before freezing
- Measure ingredients carefully to prevent a tough, greasy or soggy crust
- Cut the fat into the flour just until the size of peas (use a fork or pastry blender)
- Handle pie dough as little as possible to ensure a flaky and tender crust
- Chill pie dough for several hours to tenderize the dough, and prevent shrinkage during baking
- Allow the dough to come to room temperature before rolling
- Roll dough from the center out to a 1/8̋ thickness or less
- To place the pie crust in the pie pan, carefully loosen it from the cutting board; fold it over the rolling pin. Unroll it into the pan and press down lightly
- Trim any excess dough, leaving approximately ½ ̋ for fluting the edge
- Flute the edge by pinching dough between the thumb and forefinger or seal the edge by pressing the dough with a fork against the rim of the pie pan
- When baking a crust without the filling, prick the dough with a fork and place dry beans or rice in the bottom to prevent shrinkage while baking. Bake in a preheated 450°F oven for 10 -12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For the crust to be baked with a filling, do not prick the crust. For pies with juicy fillings, brush the bottom of the crust with egg white or melted butter to prevent a soggy crust.
- For pies that bake more than 30 minutes, place a rim of foil around the edge of the crust during the first half of baking to prevent over-browning
Now that your pie crust skills are feeling confident, fill your crust with this delicious Chocolate-Pecan filling for a sweet pie your holiday guests will love!
Chocolate Pecan Pie
- 2 PICS eggs
- 1 cup PICS sugar
- ½ cup Price Chopper flour
- ½ cup PICS butter, melted
- 1 T. PICS vanilla
- 1 cup PICS pecans, chopped
- 6 oz. semi sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 pastry shell, unbaked
Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat eggs slightly in mixing bowl. Blend in sugar, flour, butter and vanilla. Stir in pecans and chocolate. Pour into pie shell. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve. Serves 6-8.