Maureen Rowan Murphy, Manager Consumer Trends, Nutrition and Lifestyles
Hosting Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be stressful. Use this timeline we’ve developed as a guide to help you plan, prepare and enjoy the perfect Thanksgiving dinner!
Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!
The weekend before:
- Shop for items that can be purchased ahead.
- Prepare and freeze anything that can be made in advance.
- Develop a food preparation schedule.
The day before Thanksgiving:
- Purchase fresh items like vegetables.
- Set table or set up serving areas and set out serving pieces/utensils.
- Set up beverage area.
- Measure out dry stuffing ingredients, cover and set aside to mix with perishable ingredients prior to stuffing or placing in a casserole dish.
Early in the day
- Post a list of food and check off so nothing is forgotten.
- Remove turkey from refrigerator, unwrap, remove giblets, and set aside if using. Place in a roasting pan and refrigerate until ready to roast.
- Pick up any prepared food. (Our stores are open until 3pm Thanksgiving Day.)
4 to 6 hours before serving
- Peel and cut up potatoes and cover with cold water until ready to cook.
- Prepare stuffing.
2 hours before serving
- Cook giblets if using.
- Plate condiments such as cranberry sauce, olives, carrots, celery and pickles.
- Add any finishing touches to make-ahead recipes.
1 hour before serving
- Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest.
- Place stuffing in oven to bake if baking in a casserole dish as advised.
- Drain potatoes, add salt and fresh water. Cook, drain, and mash. Place in an ovenproof casserole and keep warm in oven.
- Make gravy.
15 minutes before serving
- Carve turkey.
- Bake rolls according to package directions.
- Pour beverages.
- Place condiments on table.
- Add any finishing touches to side dishes.
- Light candles.
Did you learn to carve a turkey from our very own Neil Golub? Show us your carving skills for a chance to win one of 3 $100 Price Chopper gift cards! Today through 11/25, share a photo or video of you or a family member’s holiday turkey carving in either a comment on the contest Facebook post, a tweet on Twitter or a story/post on Instagram. Use the hashtag #IlearnedfromNeil and tag @pricechopper to enter!