Written by Sylvia Geiger MS, RD, CD, Price Chopper Community Nutritionist
As a Price Chopper In-Store Community Nutritionist, every week I meet many people who tell me that they’ve recently been diagnosed with diabetes. Unfortunately, this is no surprise, as over 21 million people have the disease and another 54 million are considered “pre-diabetic.” Fortunately though, many of the symptoms of diabetes can be managed with diet and exercise and at Price Chopper we offer many services for our customers with diabetes.
Just what is diabetes? “Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), or simply, diabetes, is a group of diseases characterized by high blood glucose levels that result from defects in the body’s ability to produce and/or use insulin,” as defined by the American Diabetes Association. Type I Diabetes requires daily insulin injections and dietary management and is often diagnosed at an early age. Type II diabetes generally occurs later in life and can usually be managed with lifestyle modifications (diet & exercise) along with oral medication. Gestational Diabetes only occurs during pregnancy and requires close medical supervision.
Being diagnosed with diabetes can be scary, and requires proper medical supervision as well as medication. People diagnosed with diabetes will most likely need to make some lifestyle changes. However, millions of people with diabetes live happy and fulfilling lives once they’ve learned to manage their illness through diet, exercise and medication. Most people with diabetes know that they have to limit sweets and foods with lots of added sugars or refined grains, but beyond that there is a lot of confusion about what people with diabetes can or can’t eat. For more information, check out Price Chopper’s resources for those living with diabetes.
- Please visit the Diabetes Wellness Center on our website for answers to many of your questions about living with diabetes.
- Ask Ellie Wilson MS, RD, Price Chopper Corporate Nutritionist, general nutrition and food product questions.
- Speak to your personal pharmacist at Price Chopper about the Diabetes Advantage Program, which offers a number of medications, pen tips, insulin syringes, and lancets at no charge.
- Check out our Recipe Cards! These recipes cards are in most stores, and recipes are also online under Eating Well. Recipes that are lower in carbohydrate +/or high in fiber are checked off appropriate for diabetes on the recipe card. The recipe cards also provide carbohydrate serving and exchanges along with a complete nutrition analysis.
- Use the NuVal Nutrition Scoring System throughout the store. The NuVal scores located on the shelf tags will help direct you to the foods that are lower in added sugars. When comparing foods side-by-side on the shelf, the food with the higher score will have less sugar and be more diabetes appropriate.
- Learn how to shop well for your diabetes by signing up for an in-store tour with one of our Registered Dietitians. Call the HealthyU hotline at 1-800-666-7667, option 2 for store tour information, or check with your Price Chopper pharmacy to see if tours are offered at your store.
Diabetes Friendly Meal Using this week’s Sale Items
Served over Brown Rice
And Fresh Bartlett Pears or Strawberries