As a working mom and a registered dietitian I’m always looking for ways to stretch my food dollar yet practice what I preach and serve my family healthy foods. People often think that it is just too expensive to eat healthy all the time, and while it’s true, some foods may not fit into your daily food budget, there are ways to eat well on a budget—here are some tips for filling your cart with great choices this week.
1. Use the NuVal scores located on the shelf tags of all Price Chopper stores (right next to the price), the higher the number the better the nutrition.
2. Let color be your guide to nutritious meals. Did you know that the more colorful your plate is—the better it is for you? Fruits and vegetables are full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that keep you healthy—and each color provides a different antioxidant with a different health benefit. But a note, I mean natural color, not color from food dyes. For more information on how to “Eat Right with Color” visit ADA’s National Nutrition Month website http://www.eatright.org/nnm/
This Week’s Healthy Meal idea components:
- All main ingredients are on sale this week!
- NuVal scores are indicated by (numbers)
1. Chicken Breasts (39) with Mushroom Cream Sauce or London broil( TK) with Cherry-Balsamic Sauce
- Have some extra time? Jazz up your broccoli with this recipe for Ginger Broccoli:
3. Baked Potato (92)
4. Fresh cut fruit assortment: Peaches (96) Bosc or Anjou Pears (96) , California Oranges (100)